1.14.2009

Becoming Nauseated

Because DJ Pegleg felt it important to preface his post on Ms. Scarlett Johansson (in his Way #1489 That I'm Different Than Most Other Guys) by stating he's not into blondes, I suppose I must mention that I'm not into chicks (in that way ... blondes, brunettes, whatever. I like men.). And I'm also not into bashing other women. Indeed, I don't understand why women must pick each other apart. Why do so many of our fairer sex take such joy in pointing out even the most minor of flaws in other females?

Have you seen that tight dress Betty is wearing? She's showing off everything she owns and it sure as hell ain't pretty! She looks like the last rose of summer. And I swear that's a hickey on her neck or she's got herself another rash ... if you know what I mean ... giggle, giggle. She must have gained ten pounds since breakfast! tee, hee.

I'm not into that. But I must admit to suffering from the burgeoning popularity of Ms. Anne Hathaway. I mean seriously suffering.









Frankly, it isn't her performance per se, necessarily, that I find displeasing ... but perhaps something terribly superficial or even more hidden, deeper, the ubiquitous je ne sais quoi (like her gigantic mouth or what might be the kicker & the thing that bugs me most of all: her abnormally structured face). Can't really put my finger on my problem with Anne Hathaway.

I've recently seen her in Becoming Jane and actually found the film charming. But I'm thinking that was due to James McAvoy.

5 comments:

shalulah said...

I'm not really a fan either, & don't see a reason for so much hoo-ha. I feel like she's too slick, all surface, somehow. I'm surprised djpegleg has not risen to her defense...did he not enjoy Rachel Getting Married? (Which I have not seen.)

Anonymous said...

It's funny, I had been recently wondering how Ann
Hathaway got where she is in the movie industry. I too find her face strange and her acting so-so.. Lately I seem to see her everywhere.. Not fair to criticize, I suppose..

djpegleg said...

First let me say that James McAvoy is smoking hot...I find myself getting tingly all over when I watch his films, much like I used to with Christian Bale before his Keaton-esque turn at Batman.

Second, I totally agree that Hathaway is odd looking--in an Aerosmith's daughter kinda of way--but since I've avoided all forms or her media blitz, I'm not sick of her, and kind of think it's cool that such a weird looking woman is a hollywood Stahhrr. She kicked ass in "Rachel Getting Married" so, kudos for that.

Finally, I still stick to my "not being into blondes" thing, but I have to admit a mad crush on the following and her little rabbit like front teeth

http://www.strahotski.com/wallpapers/yvonne07_1920x1200.jpg

shalulah said...

I don't find her so odd-looking, except in the big mouth Julia Roberts way. But I think she's prettier than Julia Roberts.

wednesday said...

I find her seriously creepy. Can't exactly explain why.

Julia Roberts ... I've never thought about the two actresses as similar or dissimilar. Maybe that's an age thing. But Julia has a warmth which is lacking in Ms. Hathaway.

But I'd bet if Julia were twenty-something instead of forty-something they'd be up for a lot of the same parts ... romantic comedies, period pieces. Maybe even Best Supporting nominees (but not winners) for their roles as heart broken widows of fallen soldiers, smart talking business women, foster-mothers of children with untreatable diseases, etc.