1.21.2009

About Face / Smackdown, Bitch


We tivo'd the Inauguration since my son was going to be at school and we didn't get to watch it until later in the evening, right after some delicious bangers and mash. Anyway, I got to watch some pre-pre-pre event stuff while Emiliano was getting ready for school on NBC, and while it was as stupid and vacuous as one would expect (what was up with the balding White dude apologizing left and right--mostly right--for W all about, anyway?) it was still cool seeing that many people that geeked about politics. However, I spent most of my very limited time trying to control my gag reflex everytime some talking head would mewl on and on about "a new day" for race. In my most cynical way, I couldn't help but running my factoid loop about the incredibly high increase in gun sales right after a Black man got elected to the presidency. New day my ass.

And sure, I kept snorting derisively every time somebody (everybody) mentioned MLK, but I have to admit I almost started bawling when Aretha took the stage and started singing and the true ramifications of what this election/day meant for me--a person of color--sank in. Of course, it didn't stop me from clowning the rainbow coalition orchestral piece (Jew...check. Black...check. Asian...check. Latino(or some other swarthy group)...check) that was doing a piece by one of the worst composers known to man. Weak!

Anyways, I wasn't surprised when the President thanked the ass for his service to his country, but I was pretty impressed when he continued on to rake that fucker over the coals. It wasn't nearly on the level of the Colbert/Bush smackdown at the press corp dinner, but it wasn't far from it. To be honest, I felt the acceptance speech was far more powerful (and forthright) but this wasn't too shabby. And, I have no doubt that the guy has the smarts to get the right people into the right jobs working towards the right solutions to the right problems.

So, maybe it's a new day after all.

1 comment:

wednesday said...

I nearly fell out of my chair when it was announced Yo Yo Ma & company would be playing a piece composed by John Williams. What a schlockmeister. He must have donated a huge wad of dough to the campaign. Maybe .1% of his Star Wars residuals.

It was leaden and uninspired. Though the ensemble might have lifted my spirits a tad if they were wearing Aretha Franklin's enormous bow head piece thingamajig. Dug that.